Clothed Figure Drawing Unit Plan
There are several resources on this topic, and I assume that most of them contain similar information. I’ll try to skim them all and then choose my favorite to go deeper into.
- New Masters Academy: How to draw the costumed/draped figure. This course has over 35 hours of content.
- Moderndayjames (youtube): Cloth and drapery I and II
- David Finch (youtube): How to draw clothing and folds
- Sinix (youtube): Clothing, folds, and you
Alfredo Alcala. He was the inker on many of my favorite issues of The Savage Sword of Conan, and I really like the way he renders billowing cloaks and puffy shirts. His style is suited to the kinds of medieval clothing I want to draw in my own art.
- Learn, copy, invent.
- Week 1— Gestures of clothed figures.
- Week 2— Linear lay-ins of clothed figures
- Week 3 — Lay-ins of clothed figures with mapped shadows
- Week 4— Fully rendered clothed figures.